Thursday, January 7, 2010

8. V for Vendetta

The film 'V for Vendetta' is about a man trying to make the citizens more aware of what is going around. V's aim is to complete the plan of Guy Fawkes who lived in England in 1600s. Guy Fawkes was a member of a group of 8 people, the Gunpowder Plot. The Gunpowder Plot attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 but their plan failed as they were caught on November,5. I was surprised when I learned that people are still celebrating it on the night of November,4. This day is known as Guy Fawkes Night and people wear Guy Fawkes masks and they set off firework.
The word "Vendetta" refers to taking revenge. Actually I don't know the exact meaning of the word in English but it is called 'kan davası' in Turkish. I found the name of the film very effective because it gives us a clue about the film.
The main message of the film is that the citizens should not be afraid of the government, but the government should be afraid of the citizens because if people come together and show their reactions they can change the system.
The film is about England in near future so this film may be a prediction made for the near future. I have no idea if things like in this film can happen but I really wonder..

1 comment:

  1. I love Guy Fawkes night, there are bonfires and fireworks all over London.

    ReplyDelete